Retaining Our Services
Attorney Kevin E. Parks is currently accepting clients in need of legal representation in a range of legal practice areas. Any client representation commenced by Mr. Parks is done so only pursuant to the terms of a written and signed Engagement Letter, Fee Agreement and/or Legal Services Contract. Specific terms of such representation may vary depending on the legal and factual issues of your case. The following outlines the general terms of such representation. If you have any questions about the terms of representation, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Initial Communication: Most potential clients initially contact us either via this website or over the phone. When you initially contact us, please keep in mind that until the formal Commencement of Representation and you become a client, we cannot provide you any legal advice over the phone. All potential clients should anticipate that the scope and purpose of any initial communication is merely to: 1) communicate the general practice area of your legal issue, 2) identify the relevant parties, 3) provide appropriate contact information, 4) briefly discuss the context and status of the case or legal issue, and 5) identify whether-- and if so, when and on what basis--scheduling an initial consultation may be agreeable. An initial contact or communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.
- Consultation: Consultations are scheduled with potential new clients on an individual, as-needed, and per-case basis, after the Initial Communication. Typically, all Consultations occur in-person, at our office. It may be possible to schedule a consultation via telephone, Skype, or some other form of remote communication, though the specific manner will depend on the circumstances. Consultations generally last between one (1) and one-and-a-half (1.5) hours, and potential clients are encouraged to bring copies of any and all relevant documentation to facilitate an efficient and thorough case review. Most initial Consultations are billed pursuant to an up-front flat fee, which is due at the time of the consultation and earned upon receipt. The amount of the Consultation flat fee depends upon all the facts and circumstances of your case. Consultation flat fees are typically between $150 and $250, and can be paid via cash, credit or debit card. Free consultations are occasionally provided to potential clients in certain circumstances on an individual, case-by-case basis. The circumstances in which free consultations are most frequently offered include: 1) tenants' defense of an active, filed eviction (FED) proceeding, 2) recently fired and/or terminated employees, 3) victims of severe personal injury, and 4) veterans recently denied VA benefits. At the conclusion of a Consultation, a potential client should have a more thorough understanding of their rights and legal options moving forward, as well as an answer as to whether or not I may Commence Representation of the potential client and, if so, on what basis.
- Commencement of Representation: The Commencement of Representation does not begin until the following events have occurred: (a) You have completed an Initial Consultation and filled out an Intake Form identifying yourself, the persons or entities you may be adverse to, related parties, potential witnesses, and others related to the dispute or transaction; and (b) You and I have agreed upon, and You have signed, a written, hard-copy Engagement Letter, Fee Agreement, and/or Legal Services Contract. Until both of these events have occurred, there is no attorney-client relationship between you and Kevin E. Parks, or PARKS LAW OFFICES, LLC, or Law Offices of Kevin E. Parks. Due to the limited nature of our legal practice, we cannot and do not represent any and all persons seeking legal representation.
- Rates: You are encouraged to discuss rates with us. Our hourly rate are set forth in a written Engagement Letter/Fee Agreement/Legal Services Contract. The relevant rate often depends upon the matter for which we has been hired. Currently, our standard rate is $300 per hour. For some matters the hourly rate is significantly less than the standard rate, as rates may range from anywhere between $150 and $350 per hour. We take certain cases on a contingency fee basis, and for certain other cases we are able to offer competitive flat fees and hybrid fee arrangements, evaluated and offered on an individual per-case basis. These rates could change at any time, in which case we would give you not less than 30 days’ prior notice. Before engaging us for any legal work, you are encouraged to compare rates and qualifications with other attorneys in Oregon or elsewhere.
- Scope of Legal Services: If you hire us, you should know the services that we bill clients for. These can include in-person conferences, telephone conversations with you and/or any and all others related to your case, all electronic communications (e-mail) with you and/or others pertaining to your matter. We also charge for document review, case investigation, travel time, mileage, legal research, and case strategy; drafting and finalizing legal documents; drafting and finalizing letters and other communications; and all other services reasonably appropriate and related to the handling of your matter. You are encouraged to discuss these matters with us in advance of securing and memorializing any formal representation.
- Charging of Time; Costs: You are charged by fractions of an hour to the nearest one-tenth of an hour (six minutes), which is the minimum charge for any services we provide. You are responsible for all costs related to your case. This includes such things as investigation fees, contracted services, contracted legal research, filing fees, expert fees, witness fee, court costs, arbitration costs, document requests and production, copying, mailing and other service fees, and other necessary fees and costs that may be necessary in the handling of your case. You may be notified by us in advance of the expenditure of such fees and requested and/or required to deposit the anticipated sum necessary to cover the cost into a client trust account. We do not normally advance costs, but in certain cases in which it is possible and practical to do so, the sum advanced must be promptly repaid within ten (10) days upon receipt of invoice. We are not required to advance any costs or fees on your matter.
- Monthly Statements/Duty to Pay: We render billing statements approximately monthly and/or bi-monthly. Such billing statements itemize the time devoted to your matter, any sums advanced, and the total amount due. Any fees not paid within 30 days of billing will accrue interest at the rate of 12 percent per annum, or 1.00% per month. You are encouraged to promptly review your monthly statement and contact us by e-mail or phone if you have any questions or concerns. Monthly statements may be sent via regular mail, electronic mail, or both.
- Copies: At your request you will be provided with copies of all letters, electronic mail, and other correspondence prepared, received, or filed in your matter. Our primary mode of client and attorney communications is the telephone (503.308.1080) and electronic mail. Since we strive to achieve a green paperless office, you are encouraged to use electronic email services for transmitting paper documents whenever possible. All original documents belonging to you will be returned at your request, or filed and stored pursuant to law.
- Withdrawal/Discharge: We reserve the right to withdraw as your legal counsel if you fail to meet your financial agreement set forth in the Engagement Letter, or if you otherwise fail to fully cooperate or timely communicate in regard to your matter. As your case develops and evolves, facts and legal circumstances may develop that render continued representation in your case impractical, impossible, or otherwise inappropriate. If such a situation occurs, in our sole determination, we reserve the right to withdraw as your counsel. Conversely, you may discharge us for any cause (or no cause) at any time. You are entitled to a return of any documents not previously provided or returned following payment of any balance owing on our legal fees and costs advanced, including the costs of photocopying your file upon termination. Legal fees may also include an amount of fees not previously or subsequently billed to you on an hourly, but rather to be earned as a portion of recovery, specifically in a contingent fee or hybrid fee case. In such cases, upon discharge us for any cause (or no cause), the amount of our legal fees is equal to the value provided in furthering your case and in most all circumstances is billed at $300 per hour.